Whisky and Coke

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Daily ramblings of a dippy female....smile for me and I'll smile back.....love me and I'll love you back....make time for me and I'll make time for you. xxxxx

Friday, March 02, 2007

I loved You, I Will Always Love You.....and Will Never Forget

Wednesday morning I set off as usual for work. It was busy.

Came home, had just sat down and drank my milky coffee and the door bell rang.

I answered the door to my Mum. I was confused. I knew she was coming round On Thursday while I was at work to "HELP" with the housework. Although how I can now call it help seing as I am not in the house I don't know. Anyway, I wondered if she had decided to do it at six o clock on Wednesday evening.

I said hello, Mum put her handbag down, got out her cigarettes and sat on the sofa. She said she had some news. She hadn't wanted to tell me over the phone, nor had she wanted me to be alone seeing as hubby was away.

My heart sank, and I knew instantly what it was. My dearest Pop, my Grandad in Austrailia had passed away. Instant tears, instant "no's" it can't be true.

He slipped away in his sleep, with his daughter with him. No pain, no distress, simply drifting into another form of sleep to be with Nan.

We talked about sending flowers, I wanted to send something that would mean something to both Pop, and hubby and I. My first question, would a florist be able to do a flower arrangement in the shape of a Tasmanian Devil, as Pop was born in Tasmanai? No.

Then it hit me. Pop adored our local football club. Even though he lived thousands of miles away, when he visited us on numerous occasions he had "adopted" our city's football team as his own. So, culd the flowers be in their colours? Mum had already said that was what she was sending....so I went for their other colour. The complete "team" will be there at his final resting place.

The wording on the cards? Mum was going for a reference to the football team, so I went for the "secret" we shared when we were in Australia three years ago.

When we went we took presents for everyone. Mainly relating to our home town. But for Pop we chose a silver engraved hip flask. He wasn't supposed to drink, but we knew he loved a tipple of whisky, just like me!

So, when we were taken to see him, we gave him his present, but didn't let on it had been filled with the contents of a half bottle of whisky ;)

Each time we went to see him we took him another "tott" to fill it up. I knew it was naughty, and that my aunt wouldn't approve, but it made him smile and laugh at our secret.

My Aunt and her husband held a family barbeque for us at Easter. Lots of people for us to meet who welcomed us into their fold. Pop was brought to the party by my cousin. He promptly called hubby over, slipped him the flask and asked him to fill it up. Hubby completed the mission. Pop slipped it into his inside pocket and gave us a wink.

Only once during the night did he ask hubby and I to slip him a beer and a whisky. ANother secret kept.

So.....the wording on the card simply had to be, "Have a tott of whisky on us, all our love, insert names here".

He would know what it meant, and is probably in the higher place now trying to sneak a drop of whisky without Nan seeing him!

Mum left, I had deliberately not cried much. I didn't want to upset her. As soon as she was gone I cracked. I texted hubby twice, needing to speak to him, needing to hear his voice. An hour later he rang me, and I was literally incoherant.

He reminded me of our visit. The memories we would have of Pop healthy and happy.

I reminded him of saying goodbye to Pop on our last day, on our way to the airport. Pop and I had sobbed, even hubby cried. I think we all knew it was our last goodbye. I will treasure that goodbye, the hug, the words of comfort forever.

The last couple of days have been hard. I went to work in pices, Boss and SUpervisor S wanted to send me home. I needed to be immersed in work.

Hubby will be home soon, and no doubt as soon as I see him the tears will flow again. But the memories will be happy ones.

Test drive tomorrow, birthday on Sunday and dinner with Mum and Dad.

Another week gone, but one I will never forget.

I love you Pop and I always will, say hello to Nan for me.

Hugs

Whisky

xxxxxx

1 Comments:

At Mar 5, 2007, 6:43:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Wiskey! Email me.
deelovelee@aol.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home