Whisky and Coke

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Daily ramblings of a dippy female....smile for me and I'll smile back.....love me and I'll love you back....make time for me and I'll make time for you. xxxxx

Friday, January 26, 2007

I Managed It.........Just

Wednesday afternoon at work was the usual, still one person down, but nice and busy. The time flew by and it was soon 4.30pm and time for me to go home. Milky coffee, talked to hubby :) and I made myself have an early night in preparation for my full day of work on Thursday.

I must have slept straight through, which I was relieved about, as I had slept poorly at the beginning of the week, as the next thing I knew it was 6.30 and time to get up.

Breakfast, bath, dress, I looked out of the living room window and panicked! I knew that the main road I use to go to work was closed for road works, so I would therefore have to take an alternative and longer route. What I hadn't planned for was that my poor ickle purple car would be covered in thick lumpy frost! You know the kind that is half frost and half frozen snow. The kind that is physically impossible to remove from windows unless you have the muscles of Hulk Hogan!

That was my car.

I quickly made up my flask of milky coffee, donned my coat, hat and gloves, double checked the contents of my handbag. House keys, pen, energy drink x 2, can of coke, flask of milky coffee, and other essential items, and out I went.

Imagine. A 5ft 2" 9 stone weakling scraping superglued frost from her car.

I tried the sideways scrape. Excellent for removing the delicate frost. But useless for the lumpy frost.

The up and down ways scrape. Ok, until you get stuck in a lump and then the shock reverberates up your arm and into your shoulder.

The random pick a spot and scrape it scrape. Again ok until you get to the lumps.

In the end I went for the random whack it scrape. Pick a loose bit and scrape at the rate of roughly 1000 scrapes a minute until you can no longer breath, rest start again.

I ended up, with frost/snow in my shoes, all over my trousers and the arms of my coat, in my hair.....and gawd knows how but up my nose as well!

I got into my car, just about to remove gloves and fasten seat belt. Guess what I had forgot?

The bloomin windscreen!

So....at this point, already feeling as if I have done a full days work, I opted for the cannned de icer, (Sorry to the ozone layer here). I picked up one can.....could I get the lid off it? Could I nuts! Second and larger can lid already off, and away I went.

I sprayed for england, each and every centimetre of the windscreen had a good splattering. Windscreen wipers on........jammed. I lifted them to release them and got a face full of slush mixed with de icer. Sprayed again, and again and again and soon the windscreen was clear! Wooohoooooo!.

Into the car, wet cold gloves removed, rear window nicely defrosted due to the heated window. cigarette out, lighter in hand. Hmmmmmm, is de icer flammable. Is there enough remaining on my finely plucked eyebrows to enable me to burst into flames in my car.....well at least if that happens it will be thoroughly defrosted.

To hell with it. I tentatively lit my lighter, brought it closer to my cigarette, all safe and off I set on my journey.

Sorry if this is a long post, it's about to get longer.

I've always been told by both my Dad and hubby, in icy weather, when the roads are slippy. Play it safe. Drive slowly, and with the car in a higher gear than it needs to be. So......5 miles an hour in 3rd gear worked well until some moron decided to pull out on me. I avoided the natural instinct to slam my foot on the brake, and slightly tapped the brake with my delicate size 6 shoe. Luckily the moron and his car had already passed me as my tail end swerved from side to side down the remainder of the road!

Main roads, ice free, alternative route, and I still got to work with fifteen minutes to spare!

I had been told the day before by my supervisor that if it was icy in the car park I was to ring up to the office and someone would come and get me from my car to the door in safety. the last thing I need is to land on my butt!

I took a risk. Walked along the pebbled gaps in the car park and made it in one piece.

Into work, slaving away until the morning meeting. Always a team meeting on a Thursday morning. it felt good to be there for it :)

At about eleven am I started to fade, and fast. My brain, eyes and fingers were no longer connected. I reached into my bag, pulle out my flask, and took five to drink my milky but strong coffee. I was back on top form and raring to go.

Lunch, in the car chains smoking as they have closed the smoke room, and there is no way I am standing in a bike shed to smoke!

Back into work and it was soon 5 oclock and time to go. Boss S had checked on em all day that I was ok, and I was.

Home, milky coffee, feet up, bath, yes another one! Mum rang to say she had been worried about me all day. I rang Sis In Law and we had a scream!

Tammy had found my blog via the Be Connected website, and also takes part in the Self Portrait Challenge. She had left me a lovely comment, that Sis In Law had read, and clocked on the link to her website. She was reading things out to me from Tammy's website that had us both in stitches. I'm sure Tammy knows that this in in no way ridiculing her site. She just has the most fantastic sense of humour that is down both mine and Sis In Law's street. Now every time I think of Tammy, I think of a woman in a velcro suit!

I've a feeling my garden of friends is soon to have another seed planted :)

On that note, with laughter in the air, I ate my dinner, and headed up to bed. On my way into the bedroom I caught site of myself in the mirror. I looked terrible. I knew I felt tired, but I didn't realised I looked as bad as I did!! Grey completely pale skin, eyes sunken with dark circles underneath them. Scary! That effect after just one full day at work. How the hell did I used to manage five full days. What has happened to my strength! Did Mr R the surgeon remove that when he removed my wounds? I'll have to ask him when I see him in a fortnight.

Yet again, I forgot, not only do I have the Crohn's I also have two other conditions that sap strength from my body. I will fight them and try to gradually build up my energy. Hopefully I will win when I get to three full days. If I don't I will admit defeat, and hope that work will stick by me.

What a day.......what a blog.

Today, after a lovely lie in with no alarm clock I am refreshed and awake. Waiting for hubby's return.To see his smile, to smell his aftershave, hear his voice and most of all, to be wrapped in his arms and hear him tell me he loves me.

I'll blog soon......don't be too scared. LOL.

If you have battle with the lumpy frost.........I hope you win like I did :)

Hugs galore

Whisky


xxxxxx

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Jan 29, 2007, 12:21:00 AM , Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

You go girl! I'm thrilled you enjoyed my velcro suit post and as you know humor can get you through a lot! I will check in with the blogger that gifted me with the angel/name tag. I'm not as talented ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home